Handmade Market and Garden Party

Local art, vegan donuts, handmade French pastries, Lucky Goat coffee, and live music -- what more could you possibly ask for? From 2 to 6 PM on December 9th, local artist Janae Easton's home was chock-full of all of these things. As a local art (and donut) lover, I knew I had to check it out. 

While at Railroad Square one Saturday (where else would I be?), I was browsing Julie Guyot's studio and saw an ad for a "handmade market and garden party" at Janae Easton's house -- immediately, my curiosity was piqued. There would be six artists, three caterers, a craft tent for kids, and a raffle for an artisan basket! Honestly, there's nothing better than that, so I grabbed my friend and my chauffeur and off we went.

When we arrived at Ms. Easton's house, I grinned. In the cutest backyard I've ever seen in my 15 years, there were people shopping and eating and petting dogs, buying art and selling it, sitting on the porch and running around playing games. My friend and I perused the various wares, ooh-ing and ahh-ing as we went. Famished from all that perusing, we gathered macarons and donuts and sat on the porch, basking in the soft sunshine. 

Once refueled, we went around the artists' tables again. First was Megan Holmes, who had a colorful, fun style that I couldn't resist. My friend and I bought some Christmas presents from her lovely booth and went on to Erica Passage's table, which was full of beautiful pottery and her wonderful personality! Next was The Oak and the Fern by Libby Armstrong, who displayed delicate earrings that I wanted with my whole wallet. Then we came upon the gracious hostess' table. Janae Easton's work (aka Platypusfile) has never ceased to amaze me. It's so full of life, so vibrant. 

After a chat and a purchase, my friend and I ambled over to Julie Guyot's booth which exhibited gorgeous pottery of all kinds, from mugs to coffee scoops. Not far was the Silk and Cotton Shop table, owned by Eliza Schneider-Green, who always has adorable cards and the best handwriting I've ever seen. Then we went to Anhaica Bag Works, which, you guessed it, carried stunning bags that we ogled until it felt too awkward. Last but not least was Amanda Boekhout's (Divine Fem) table, which sold works that embraced the feminine spirit and I was instantly infatuated with her artwork.

Eventually, we knew it was time to go home, although none of us wanted to. Things like this market make Tallahassee such a perfect place to be. As I've explored different areas of our community and gone to different events, I've realized how special our city is, because of the amazing people living and doing and creating in it.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silk and Cotton (Pop-Up) Shop

Artisans in the Garden