The Silk and Cotton (Pop-Up) Shop


             If you know me, I'm a stationery freak. I love cards, pens, hand-lettering and calligraphy, patterns, and anything that makes paper look pretty! As a local teen, I am very interested in finding out more about my community's local arts scene, and this was the perfect opportunity! I also adore anything and everything art-related (especially if it's cute!), so when I saw the post about The Silk and Cotton Pop-Up Shop on COCA's Tallahassee Arts Guide webpage, I knew I had to go. I dragged my trusty chauffeur (my dad) into the car and off we went.
       
      When I opened the door to Julie Guyot's Railroad Square studio, I was immediately greeted with cheerful hellos and vibrant patterns. Julie Guyot, the host of the pop-up, and Eliza Schneider-Green, one of the artist participants of the shop, introduced themselves to me. They also offered a cupcake, which I happily devoured. 

      If you're wondering what a pop-up shop is, wonder no more! It's a temporary store, used by people who don't have stores themselves.These pop-ups allow vendors to get to know their potential customers and how many there are, without commitment or risk. They pop up, are usually open only for a day or so, and then disappear. If the shop works out, the vendor might feel comfortable enough to open a real space. Basically, pop-ups are just a more personal artist web store, where you can browse the artist's wares and learn more about the artist in person. 

      In the case of The Silk and Cotton Pop-Up Shop, Julie Guyot hosted the pop-up in her lovely studio. The participating vendors may not have had a physical store, so they used Ms. Guyot's as a temporary one. Everyone gets the opportunity for sales and more awareness of their products, whether he or she owns one or not, so it's a win-win!

      While I ate my vegan blueberry cupcake, I took a gander at the wares. There were scarves, shirts, prints, plates, candles ("Spice of Life" and "Long Walk Home" were my favorites), tote bags, and many other dazzling items.The shop had a cozy, friendly atmosphere, and was chock-full of gorgeous stationery (courtesy of Ms. Schneider-Green), pottery by Ms. Guyot, and many other things I would love to own. I wish I could have bought out the whole store, to be honest. I walked out with a new appreciation of all the possibilities in Tallahassee's local arts scene, a beautiful print, and a full stomach. Let me tell you, you don't have to go to MoMA to see quality art; it's right here in Tallahassee! 

      You may be asking, "Well, where is this pop-up shop, and when?" I'm afraid you won't like the answer. Sadly, the shop was only open on Saturday, September 16, from 12 to 5. But you may be pleased to know that some of the shop vendors sell their wares on Etsy and even have studios in Tallahassee.* So keep your eyes peeled, because the Silk and Cotton Pop-Up Shop might just pop up when you least expect it!






*Here's a list of some of the shop's collaborators on Etsy!

Eliza Schneider-Green


Julie Guyot

Julie Guyot Studio
618 McDonnell Drive
Tallahassee, FL, 32310

Jane Easton (Platypusfile)

Platypusfile
1502 Yancey Street
Tallahassee, FL, 32302

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handmade Market and Garden Party

Artisans in the Garden