Artisans in the Garden

Among the best things in this world are dogs, art, and plants. This is a fact. And these things all come together at Tallahassee Nurseries every year. On November 11, my dad and I were running some errands and we saw a sign outside Tallahassee Nurseries saying "Artisans in the Garden." In Tallahassee, Artisans in the Garden is legend, and I hadn't been since I was 5. I asked my dad if we could go and he being the loyal chauffeur that he is, said yes. We rolled up to Tallahassee Nurseries and were immediately in awe. There were so many vendors and people and, most importantly, dogs! We strolled through the flower-lined pathways and gazed at all the wonderful art. From pottery to origami, there were countless pieces for sale and I was enamored of all of them. 

Of course, I couldn't be selfish; I had to think about Christmas presents for family and friends, and believe me, my relatives are going to be very lucky this year! While my dad and I were looking for gifts, we chatted with a few of the artists. We had a very nice conversation with Anne Hempel (pictured below), who told us that "every painting has a story." She told us about a beautiful painting of flowers in a red vase. Her husband brings her flowers often, not for any special occasion, just because he loves her. Ms. Hempel always appreciates them, and one day she decided to bring the flowers into her studio and paint them. She added two little birds looking at each other adoringly, which she says represents her and her husband and their love. 

I also talked to Sharon, a representative of Tallahassee Nurseries. She told me that the event this year had 52 vendors -- wow! So many artists in one place was heaven! There were also three musical guests: Natasha Marsalli, a manager for a local music school who performed with some of her teenage students; Dickie Hosford, a man with a strong voice and great guitar-playing skills; and Ric Edminston, who I sadly didn't get to see. Local catering, including Indigo Bistro, were on the premises. I definitely took advantage of that!

With full stomachs and empty wallets, my dad and I got into the car. On the ride home, I thought about how lovely it is to live in a place that provides such wonderful opportunities to experience art and nature in a happy, enjoyable environment. I am proud to be a Tallahassee teen!
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silk and Cotton (Pop-Up) Shop

Handmade Market and Garden Party